Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What’s your address?

It is the time of the year again, where I scramble to look for my address list…. I say ‘list’ as I never managed to maintain a proper address book.  Why am I looking for my address list you may wonder….cos it is the time of the year again…where I take time to write and send Christmas cards. 

Yes, you have read correctly…I actually write and send out Christmas cards every year.  One of my friends WL says that she uses my cards as a gauge to when she should be starting to prepare for Christmas.  Well….I don’t want to disappoint friends, so I faithfully write and send my cards out each year. :)

I realised that over the years, the number of cards I send is about the same ( about 20 each year), but the names on the list have certainly changed over the years.  It used to be friends from college, but I am sad to report, I have not kept in touch with them over the years and have stopped sending them cards for a long time.  Besides, I am sure they are no longer living at the same place.  Then it came friends from university, and I am proud to say that there are quite a few still on my list.  The third group of people would be the ones that I have come to know since I started work, and have kept in touch with over the years. 

I know that in this day and age of digital cards and Facebook, it would seem rather silly to send real cards where people take a brief glance at it, and probably chuck it aside until the end of the season, where the cards are taken to “recycle”.  While I agree the cards don’t last very long, it is the simple joy that each card brings when you actually receive one in your hands.  It means someone out there is thinking of you, and you are worth taking time out to write and send a card to.  Having said that, I must also admit that there are people that I would LOVE to send a card to…but don’t have their real addresses…so do forgive me if you get a e-card from me! I am thinking of you still…but I don’t know where to send a real card to!

So I hope that everyone who receive a card this year, be it from me or anyone would also receive the thoughts and blessings that this simple card brings :)

Have a blessed season!

No comments: