Friday, October 23, 2009

A time for….

I have been really quite busy recently. Have had almost non-stop training for the last 3 weeks. I was just reminded by my friend that I have not been updating the blog recently….ha..so I actually have people reading my ramblings? :)

My workload is usually different from my colleagues in other depts. When they are busy with teaching, I am less busy as I can only conduct my training when the are less busy with their teaching. Ironic isn’t it. So it may seems that I am “free” while others are busy.

I have come to terms with this some time back, and have gotten quite used to people saying things like “wah..you so free huh?” when semester has just started and they are all busy teaching. Well, there are times when people are free and there will be times when people are busy. However in our society, we seem to think that being busy is the right thing to do, and so we all type away on our MSN, Facebook, Twitter, Blog in making the impression that we are “busy”, and that if you are seated at your desk, you are doing work. I think this notion has got to change, as sometimes I feel that I do the least amount of work when I am at my desk, and most when I am in the library, or at home in my study. ( I am the advocate of “Work from Home” and my ex-colleagues have me to thank for this policy at my old work place!!)

Why do we care so much about how much more or less work people are doing? Shouldn’t we just want to look at what we are doing? There will definitely be people who do more, and earn less, and those who are just the opposite. We will never win if we try to compare, and it would only make us more miserable…at least that is what I think. Yes, we may feel like life is not very fair, but then again, we don’t know everything, and the people whom you see is free may have been more efficient and have completed all their work ( although this would probably not be our first thought…. :P)

Having said that, I must also admit that there are times when I hear people telling me “wah, you so free huh?” -- to say “yes, I am” with a huge grin on my face….just to validate the person’s assumptions :)

But one a more serious note, why don’t we just listen to what the bible has to say about seasons and be peaceful about it? One of my favourite passages…

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-14

A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,

7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,

8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

What does the worker gain from his toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.

3 comments:

Porkie said...

Yes, I am an avid reader of your blog...keep those updates coming! ;-)

Hui Leng said...

Thanks Porkie!! Remember to update yours too when you are not in town!

liyin said...

hi HL, just want to say I love this post. Nicely written.

ly