Thursday, August 21, 2008

Choices....how to decide?

We were having dinner at my parents' place and we started to chat about the new options that you have on Cable TV. Now, you can have videos on demand and watch the shows you want without having to wait for it to be broadcasted at the stipulated time. The conversation then when on to talk about how we are no longer interested in HK drama, much less those by the local broadcaster. My dad has taken a liking to watch French detective shows ( not that he has a clue what they are talking about with the subtitles!) , my sis & aunt still prefers HK drama & some K-drama, while my mom goes for the Taiwanese ones. Me...I use to like K-dramas but have since shifted a little more to Jap Drama & reading mangas.

I had to remind my family that there was once...a long time ago where we only had whatever the TV was showing, and we would be 'grateful' for it. We had no choice...we just took what was given to us. But now, we have so many options and choices...so much "customisation" & "personalisation". We start to focus on what we want, when we want. If you think about it, it is quite a some-what "arrogant" attitude to have isn't it? It is all about ME ( as the HSBC advert reminds you loudly!). You spend so much time comparing which is better and how you can maximise your "happiness" utility. Not that maximising utility is a bad thing...it is just the consequences of it. I am not sure I want Daniel & Evelyn to grow up with the "ME" attitude...yet realistically speaking..they will be growing up in the environment that is made to cater to their every whim & fancy. I think it is inevitable...the only think I can do for them, is to make sure that they have the right attitude and to make the right choices for themselves.

No comments: