Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Let the Air Out!

Have you ever had the experience of chatting with friends about work, and then a torrent of  emotions would suddenly pour out? Usually, the emotions tend to be negative and full of frustrations?  ( and everyone raise their hands and nod in agreement!)  Yeap…this is what we call “venting” or “angsting”.  We do that all the time, just to let up the pent up steam inside us when we have to deal with people that are unreasonable, irritating, irresponsible, and basically one who seems to go against our principles and morals in our work place!  and the worst thing is that…..there is very little that we can do about it…that’s what we angst!

I have had the experience of angsting with my friends over coffee many a days, and you know what? It is a great bonding activity! We get to let our frustrations and angst out, and get to have people nodding in agreement with your over-whelming emotions, and enjoy your coffee, tea & waffle at the same time.  Come to think about it…it does not seem to be such  a bad thing right? :P ( see I like to see the positive side of things!).

Yet, on the other hand, why do we feel so frustrated? Many times I realised, we are frustrated cos we feel we are not able to deal with the infuriating siltation or person, and the only way seem to be to “talk” it out of our system.  I personally don’t think it is a bad thing to do, but if we consider it carefully, is talking the only way?  I don’t think so…

I think many times, I vent cos it is the easier way to deal with it, then to confront the situation or person.  It is also a much “safer” way.  We don’t want to create tension in our workplace by challenging another person or situation cos we all would prefer to maintain that facade of unity rather than to get into actual disagreement with the person or situation.  And if anyone is bold enough to actually confront, the person is deemed as one who is rocking the boat, rather than one that is trying to make the a bad situation good. So not many people would actually want to be that  “bad” person.  But is this right?  We are not helping to improve things by tolerating bad behaviour or situation, in many cases, we are only making the situation worse by not speaking up…yet how many of us would be willing to do just that?

It is not an easy choice.  My philosophy has always been….one can afford to lose a battle, but don’t lose the war ….chose your battles carefully.  If confrontation means a temporary reprieved from frustrations which may lead to a worst situation, then I would prefer to tolerate the pain, and wait for “deliverance”.  But it is your fight…you make the choice…:)

1 comment:

msd said...

Thank you for letting me knows about this news. I am owning a Corporate Travel Agency Singapore and looking to improve it and develop it more. So these tips will be useful for me and will definitely help me grow myself and my company.