Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Malaccan Food

I know this is a really back dated blog entry, as I have already been back from Malacca for almost a month now! I realised that I had these photos of the food I ate there, and it would be a real waste not to show them…

CIMG1163

1. Chicken Rice Balls
Can you spot the rice? At first when it came, we thought it was fried fish balls! Ha…I almost said “ we didn’t order this” then I realised that it was rice! oh well…

It was “tourist” food. The rice was well very packed, so it lost the “fluffy” feel of the regular rice. The shop we went to was along Jonkar Street named “Farmosa Chicken Rice”. CIMG1164

We found out later that it was not the “original” store. The one that you want to go to for the authentic, hand-made chicken rice ball is at the end of Jonkar street, at the junction opposite OCBC Bank and San Shu Kong. …but queuing under the hot sun is NOT my idea of fun…but to these people(below), it seems to be worth it.

CIMG1166

2. Peranakan Food – Donald & Lily’s
How can we visit Malacca without eating Peranakan food? My cousin brought us to this house opposite the Jonkar Street Car park. We literally ate in their back yard!! It was a small outfit, and food often ran out if you did not go early. We barely got the last order for the Assam Stingray. Here is where they cook and below the sign board was their actual back door!

CIMG1184 CIMG1183

Actually, we ate a lot of Chendol!! Alot….we had at least one bowl a day! Daniel got so addicted to it, we brought gula melaka home and try and make it…key word here is TRY, cos as of now….I still have not made it! :P

There are actually a lot more food in Malacca like Satay Julut, pineapple tarts, Kueh etc…but I was too busy eating to take pictures…:) If you are keen to find out more about Malaccan food, there are a few blogs online that will show you where to go :)

No comments: