Thursday, April 16, 2009

Any other name..

Come next week, I would have been legally married for 9 years :).  S & I registered our marriage about a year before the actual wedding ceremony.  Its a date that we have to put in application forms, but it is also a date that I tend to forget.  I am just glad that S had the foresight to engrave the date into the wedding ring…so I could just take a peek at it if I forget! ( which I did on a few occasions…)

Many things have changed with marriage…as anyone would tell you, but one thing that has not changed for me…is my name.  I have kept my maiden name . I still find it strange when people call me “Mrs T”…actually, most of time, I don’t even know that they are calling me.  I don’t associate myself with that title very much.  My students call me “Ms T” and the only people that calls me “Mrs T”  are actually the kids’ teachers. :P

BUT, that does not mean that I don’t like to be associated with S and the family by the name. It is just a title that I do not use frequently.  I think most of my married girl friends have all kept their maiden name.  It seems to be the practice not to take on husbands’ name after marriage in Singapore. The interesting thing is that most of my friends who have adopted their husbands names are actually from non-Asian society.   You would think otherwise right?

To me, the name is just a title.  You can call yourself Mrs So &  So, but do not have a relationship with the person whose name you have adopted in public.  I much rather have a loving relationship and a strong bond with S, then to have just a title as a link to our relationship. 

Happy Anniversary NNP! :P

2 comments:

Poh Sim said...

Happy Anniversary to you & Mr.T!
wah ... 9 years!!! =)
May the Lord continue to bless your marriage, fill it with romance, laughter & all good stuff.

Hui Leng said...

Thank you thank you!! :)