Tuesday, August 28, 2007

881 : The Getai Movie

Ok...so I finally went to watch the Royston Tan movie "881" last weekend. I must be one of the hundreds who have/are blogging on this movie! It was a pretty authentic experience as there were many aunties & uncles in the cinema as well. The movie about the local "getai" scence was really quite good. It showed the "human" side of an industry that only operates for one month in a year. I spent the first half laughing, and the second half crying. What I like best about the movie was actually the music. It was often ironic that the songs that were sung were usually sad - mostly about the hardships in life and sickness BUT the costumes and lighting is rather jovial in comparison. The singers were all very good as well....should I say..even better than some of those "idol -singers". I particularly like these 2 songs :





The movie also reminded me of those childhood days when my sisters and I would attend the 7th month dinner with my grand aunty and the excitement of the auction. If you are familiar with the 7th Month event, you would know that each set of "gifts" usually comes with a flag...which is usually a prized toy. Since there were 3 kids at home, we end up fighting for the "right" to own the flag. My grand aunty - being fair...usually got the organisers to give her 3 flags :) (we reckon the organisers obliged as my grand aunty had a pretty loud voice, and they probably gave it to her cos they were scared! :P)

No comments: